Thursday, June 14, 2012

# 288 Grab a Spoon-- its Carrot Ginger Web Soup

It's not Halloween, it's not pumpkin season nor is it Fall yet, but it was at that moment when I discovered a bag of sweet carrots in my fridge that Bugs Bunny came to mind. Carrots remind me of rabbits and rabbits of Bugs Bunny. A cartoon character famous in the World War II era-- appearing in a War Bond commercial, Bugs still remains the mascot for Warner Brothers. The proud holder of a star on the Hollywood walk of fame, he is still a true favorite of many cartoon fanatics.


I am not going to talk about the high beta-carotene content of Bugs Bunny's favorite but they are nutritious!

Today it's an adult version of this vegetable - a soup that reminds me of the Fall.  Since the weather is no longer following rules, I guess we are entitled to switch gears and bring the Fall into the Summer aren't we? I'm making my version of a store bought soup from a carton I've always wanted to recreate at home. While I was cubing carrots I added- a little ginger, a bit of butter and a touch of honey and the soup truly surprised me ...all in all -a very comforting, soothing and satisfying soup.  I recommend you try it out tonight so that you too can bring a little Fall into this Summer!!

 So here's my brew:

Ingredients:
1 cup onion chopped
2 Tblpsn Butter
4 cups sliced cubed carrots
1 large carton(32 oz) chicken broth
1 tspn ginger paste
2 Cups Soy milk
1 tsp cilantro chopped
1 tspn honey
1 tspn salt
1 tspn pepper

Directions:
1, In a dutch oven saute the onion in the butter and additional 1 tspn olive oil until translucent.
2. Add the carrots, cilantro, broth, honey and ginger, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender and broth is
just above the vegetables in the dutch oven. Turn off the fire.
3. Cool for 15 minutes. Take a hand blender and process until smooth. Stir in the soy milk, salt, pepper and heat the soup until just warm. Serve with a yogurt web on top.
Make concentric rings of Yogurt with a spoon starting with the center. Then run a butter knife from the center to the edge of the bowl to create the web pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF