Onions- 1/2 large onion chopped fine
Green chillies-2 chopped into cross sections
Quick cooking or Old Fashioned Oats- 1 cup
Ginger chopped- 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- a few
Dry red chillies-1
Mustard seeds and Chana dal- 1/4 tspn
Cumin seeds(jeera)- 1/4 tspn
Olive Oil- 1 Tblspn
1 cup water and salt to taste
1. In a small skillet, roast the oats until it just develops a brown tinge. Remove and set aside in a bowl.
2. Heat oil in the same skillet and add the mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, chana dal, curry leaves and the red chilli and wait until the spluttering of the seasonings.
3. Add chopped onions, ginger and green chillies and saute until the onions are translucent.
4. Add water(the measurement for water is different if you are using Old Fashioned oats since it takes longer to cook) and salt and remove from fire. I used Old fashioned oats. If using quick cooking oats use half the water.
5. Place the mixture with water in a microwave safe dish. Add oats and cook in microwave for one minute.
6. I noticed that cooking n the microwave adds to the fluffiness of the upma. Fluff with fork and serve.