An Italian comfort food inspired by a gnocchi recipe from Giada De Laurentiis, this dish has been tweaked a little to add sardines, red pepper flakes and tons of garlic to create a spicy sauce.
1 russet potato, baked and cooled.
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg beaten(use 3 Tblspns)
¼ cup all-purpose flour
Sardines (boneless) - 1 can
Whole tomatoes can- 1 large
3 large cloves of garlic chopped fine
A pinch of crushed red pepper.
Basil leaves-3/4 cup
Kalamata olives-1 cup
Lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon.
Extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop out the flesh of the baked potato into a large bowl and toss the skin.
- Mash it well with salt and pepper and add 3 tablespoons of beaten egg into it.
- Sprinkle the flour over the potato mixture and stir well to form a dough. Knead it until smooth for 30 seconds.
- On a lightly floured board divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each one into a ½ inch thick roll. Then cut each roll into 1/2 inch pieces. Place a fork upside down on a surface and roll each I inch piece over it to create grooves.
- Place a large pot of water on medium heat and let it come to boil. Add salt and the gnocchi and let it cook until they rise to the surface (about 1 to 2 mins).
- For the sauce: Heat olive oil and add the garlic, chili flakes and when it sizzles add sardines and do not stir too much or sardines will crumble. Add coarsely chopped olives and lightly crushed tomatoes and let simmer. Then add salt and pepper, juice and zest of lemon and gnocchi let gently heat the sauce
- Add pasta water if it gets too thick and when done, remove from fire and serve with torn basil and grated Parmesan (optional).