The Valentine's Day spirit is lingering around and I am craving something a little extra special! The custard I have today is a great gift from Italy. Zabaglione or 'zahbaloyne' as it is called is made by simply whisking together egg yolks, Marsala wine and sugar over slowly simmering water in a pan. The eggs thickened beautifully into a light and foamy custard while I whisked the mixture over warm water. A friend gifted us a small bottle of Passion fruit rum liqueur when they returned from an island vacation, this was my chance to open it and enjoy its full flavor. The idea of Zabaglione over fresh raspberries was a great pairing and was the perfect end to the meal.
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup Passion Fruit Rum Liqueur
2 1/2 Tblpsn White Sugar
1/2 cup Heavy cream whipped into stiff peaks
1. Half-fill a large saucepan with water and boil well.
2. Place yolks, sugar and liqueur in a metal bowl and place over the warm water.
3. In this double-boiler, keep beating the mixture into peaks until cooked, soft and fluffy.
4. Serve berries with zabaglione and whipped cream.
5. A dusting of cocoa and your'e good to go!