Everyone knows that broccoli is the best cruciferous vegetable to eat, but somehow we all forget about its close cousins- the kale, cabbage, cauliflower and bok choy all of which have the same properties. As an ardent lover of all types of green vegetables, Kale is among one of my favorites:).
With its cholesterol lowering properties kale can do a better job at detoxifying the system than many of the detox packages available in the market. Its thick nutty taste and crisp texture makes it ideal for an enchilada stuffing. Besides, it doesn't feel like you're eating anything healthy or bland. An enchilada with Kale, zuchini and Mexican spices, along with the cheese and sauce makes you want to go Mexican and vegetarian everyday of the week.
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small zucchini, grated
salt and pepper
1 10oz packet frozen chopped kale
1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 can enchilada sauce (I used El Paso)
5 whole wheat tortillas
1/2 cup Mozarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup sour cream
|The Crispy Kale Chips I used to garnish my plate are made from Fresh Kale leaves tossed in olive oil and baked in the oven for twenty mins.|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add oil and jalapenos, garlic and stir for one minute. add onions and saute.
3. Add kale, cumin and salt to taste. Add the zucchini and cook until it loses it’s liquid, stir it regularly.
4. Remove from heat and stir in a good amount of pepper, half the cilantro, cheese and a tablespoon of enchilada sauce.
5. Warm the tortillas in a hot skillet for about 30 seconds per side. In a pyrex baking dish spoon one third of the enchilada sauce over the bottom. One at a
time form each enchilada.
6. Put one quarter of the filling in each tortilla, roll up and place in dish. When all the enchiladas are rolled and placed in the dish, spoon the remaining enchilada sauce on top. Spread the Sour cream over the top.
7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, garnish with the rest of the cilantro before serving.