An ideal breakfast or meal-in-one is always so nourishing-especially when you have children who are picky eaters. This is a creation from one of my cousins, who so generously shared another version of this recipe with me. I hope this will serve as a simple meal for those mothers out there, who are looking for wholesome meals for their children. A twist on the traditional puttu(made from rice flour and coconut), I used whole wheat bread toasted in the oven until crisp and then coarsely powdered in the blender. Layer them with leftover ground meat curry and scrambled eggs alternating with freshly grated coconut and you have a surpise treat that will blow your mind!!!
Whole Wheat Bread- 8 slices
Puttu Flour(Rice flour )- 1/4 cup
Freshly grated Coconut-1/2 cup
Leftover curried ground chicken or fresh chicken shredded(without sauce)- 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
1. Toast the slices of bread in a cookie sheet in the oven or in a toaster until crisp but not burnt.
2. Cool and process until coarsely ground.
3. In a saucepan break in the eggs, salt and pepper and scramble until finely cooked.
4. You need a Puttu Kodam or any other "Puttu" maker to make a Puttu.
this is a Kerala style cylindrical stainless steel "steamer" used to steam rice flour and coconut
after the rice flour is mixed in with water adding a little at a time until soft and the flour is
moist enough. Place the Puttu kudam or a pressure cooker with enough water at the bottom and start boiling the water.
5. In the meantime, take the powdered toast and puttu flour in a glass bowl and sprinkle a little water at a time and keep mixing until the mixture is moist but not holding together.(Do not get the flour to hold together into a dough).
6. Take the Puttu cylinder add a teaspoon of coconut at the bottom, then a layer of moist mixture lightly over it. Then layer with ascrambled eggs. Add more flour followed by chicken mix and then more flour followed by coconut until the top of the cylinder.
7. Close the lid of the cylinder and place on the boiled water to start cooking the mixture.
8. After about 15 minutes the mixture is steam cooked blending together all the wonderful flavors and holding together by the steam passing through the cyclinder.
9. Remove and serve warm