So last Saturday, I got my flour and yeast down from the pantry to bake these veggie rolls. I knew it was going to be a long relaxing day but who doesn't like beating, raising and baking dough? When I start kneading, mixing and baking, it is usually quite peaceful and refreshing. Baking always clears my mind. I remembered a nice cinnamon raisin bread I had baked a few years back and an idea came to mind-- a 'pizza' bread. So here's how the baking session went.............................and find my post at BYOB event on http://www.girlichef.com/
4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg(1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1 1/4 tspn salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 Tblspn butter
2 eggs + 1 beaten for egg wash
Veggies: 1 grated carrot, 1/2 cup spinach and 1/4 cup shallots and olives chopped.
Grated Cheese- 1 cup
Spaghetti sauce- 1/2 cup
Toppings:1/2 tspn dry chopped onions, 1/4 tsp garlic and 1/4 tsp dry basil
Directions for making the basic dough:
1. In a large bowl, combine warm water with sugar and yeast. Let rise for 15 mins.
2. Warm the milk and butter in a microwave cup until well blended.
3. Mix together both liquids from steps 1 and 2 into the large bowl in step 1.
4. Add flour, salt and blend well together add the eggs and mix well adding the rest of the flour and veggies and kneading for about 2 mins.
5. If you prefer to use the dough mixer in a bread machine feel free to use that instead.
6. After the dough comes together smooth and elastic, turn onto a floured surface and knead well for about 6-8 mins. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to oil the top. Cover with a plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled or for at least an hour.
7. Knead down the dough again and turn onto a floured surface dividing it into 12 balls (lemon sized). Roll and shape into balls and place equally along a greased 13 X 9 baking pan. Let rise for 30 mins.
8. Take the rest of the dough and roll using a rolling pin into a square. spread a layer of
spaghetti sauce over it. Spread the cheese and 1 Tblspn of leftover veggies.
How to spread and roll the 'pizza' bread before the last proofing
9. Slowly roll from the bottom to the top making sure to tuck the sides in and enclose the "pizza" stuffing inside the bread. Place inside of a greased loafpan. Let rise for 30 mins.
10. Heat oven to 375 degrees. While the oven is warming up, mix together the topping ingredients. Once both rolls and 'pizza' swirl bread have risen well, brush with the 1 egg wash and sprinkle the topping. (The bread may take longer to rise than the rolls)
11. Bake rolls for about 12-15 mins. Serve with butter.
12. Bake the 'pizza' swirl bread for about 20 mins or until the top is lightly browned. Serve with extra spaghetti sauce.