Monday, July 8, 2013

#287 Andhra Style Stuffed Pepper Pakoras

I have this ardent love for fresh Peppers and I can never buy enough to satiate it. This year, I've been fortunate to get a fairly good outcome from growing a few of my favorite peppers right here on my deck. Now, I have more than enough and find many ways to use finger hot peppers, Jalapenos, Banana peppers and my favorite Anaheim peppers-the larger (fried) of the two in the pics.

Why are Anaheims always appearing on my menus? While on my kitchen adventures, I've come to the conclusion that they are deliciously subtle and mild in flavor. They grabbed my attention simply because they are not overly spicy, the skin is delicate when grilled and most importantly- they are pliable enough for stuffing. 

As for me, I cannot handle piping hot/finger hot peppers --the ones normally used in traditional Andhra cuisine. I can enjoy my favorite Andhra(state in India) recipes such as Mirchi Ka Salan and Mirapakaya Bajji aka Stuffed Pepper Pakora (fritters) which I will be making today with the help of these mild peppers. If you prefer to use the fingerhot or jalapeno peppers instead, go right ahead and enjoy the heat.  But for those of you who are interested here's a peek at a couple of other ways I've used them.
Mirch Ka Salan
Chipotle Ginger Soy Tuna Tacos

Stuffed peppers can be made with so many different fillings beyond my imagination, one that I am familiar with is the kachori filling that I love. Most often, crushed peanuts are used but feel free to experiment with either almonds, cashews, coconut, sesame or sunflower
seeds.

Ingredients:
For Batter:
1 cup Besan/Chickpea flour
2 Tbslpn cornflour or rice flour(to make it crisp)
1/4 tspn asafoetida powder
1 tspn chili powder
salt to taste
a pinch of baking soda

For the Filling:
3 Tblspn sunflower seeds(any nuts may be subsituted or even sesame seeds)
1 tspn ajwain
1 tspn tamarind paste
1/2 tspn brown sugar
1/2 onion chopped fine
1 Tblspn chopped cilantro.
Salt to taste
Anaheim Peppers-6-8
Oil for deep frying

Directions:
Mix together the ingredients for the batter with a little water until you get the consistency of thick pancake batter.
(Make sure it is thick enough to stick to the peppers when you dip them in)
Mix the ingredients for the filling in a seperate bowl and mix well to combine flavors.
Make a slit along the side of each pepper to make a pocket, and spoon the filling into each pocket dividing it equally among all 6-8
peppers. Keep aside for a few minutes.
Place a wok or a deep frying pan with enough oil to deep fry the peppers over a medium fire.
Heat until the oil is hot enough. Dipe the stuffed peppers gently into the batter covering all sides of it.
Now, gently slip them into the hot oil very carefully, Let them fry on one side completely before turning them over.
Note: The peppers must not be turned until the lower side is completely done or it will break in the oil.
When both sides are lightly browned and cooked well, remove from the oil draining it on paper towels to get off the extra oil.

Serve these whole or slice them into bite size peices with mint or tamarind chutney.

3 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely perfect and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow... absolutely love it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look divine! Perfectly cooked with a nice crisp and the stuffing inside is making my stomach growl! Love it

    ReplyDelete

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF