Friday, December 19, 2014

 

#307 - Butter makes it better! by:  N




I love this time of the year filled with guilt free eating.  Its ok to take cream, butter and bread and whip up all kinds of heavenly dishes.  Think about it!  Egg nog?  Would you have that in April just ‘cause?  A big ole’ bird stuffed with bread, sausage and butter.  You feel like eating that in July?  Don’t think so!  I even made some of the Thanksgiving dishes twice!  Yes, I’m horrible!  And I don’t even care!  I went out and bought some good ole REAL butter and let me tell ya….Barefoot Contessa was right!  Butter makes everything better!  You know that “secret” ingredient or flavor that you wonder about in most dishes...its butter people!  I barely ever have it in my “real” life so when I do get that taste for butter...I can’t get over myself.  There is no other time but now to fill up on these delectable dishes that just sound ridiculous at any other time of the year.  So get to it! There is just a couple of more weeks left to indulge ;)

Here is one of the recipes for a dish I whipped up...my favorite!

Grean Bean Casserole


1 packet mushroom gravy mix
2 tablespoon BUTTER
½ cup milk
¼ cup low sodium chicken broth (you can use any kind of broth)
1 packet frozen green beans (who buys canned vegetables anymore!!)
1 box of the fried onions (the traditional green bean casserole recipe  is on this box)
 
I substituted the cream of mushroom for a roux made with with gravy powder, milk and broth.  The gravy powder has around 200 mg sodium, the cream of mushroom has 870 mg sodium. Something to think about when you make any casserole with these creamed soups!

  1. Melt butter and add the gravy mix and slowly heat for 1 minute
  2. Add milk slowly, while stirring to make sure that the milk doesn’t curdle
  3. Add broth slowly, stirring to create a creamlike substance without lumps
  4. Add the thawed beans, with ½ cup of fried onions and cook slightly
  5. Pour into a greased pan and top with ½ cup more fried onions
  6. Bake at 475 degrees for 15 minutes

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF