Wednesday, April 11, 2012

#201 Yorkshire Gingerbread

"Cooking with the two fat ladies" is another great cookbook by Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Paterson. Just the other day I ran into a copy of it,  only to be completely enticed by one of their dessert recipes-as you may remember I have a sweet tooth!! Both the ladies have given credit for this recipe to Anne Willan of La Varenne Cookery School who is from North Yorkshire and the gingerbread is from her book 'Real Food'.



Easter Sunday just passed us and we enjoyed a cosy easter meal at a friend's home. Easter Sundays have been rather quiet these days for R and I. The days when we purchased egg decorating kits and I helped the girls decorate so many eggs are all bygone .....but the need to use eggs in abundance today made me bake this gingery spiced bread. The very first bite had an instant kick of ginger which we found to be incredibly tasty,  and not being overly sweet I served each wedge with whipped cream and ginger syrup.  If you do not like the flavor of ginger, then this is not for you:)

What you would need:
1 2/3 cups self-rising flour
2 Tablespoons ground ginger
1 Tablespoon ground allspice
1/2 tspn salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup(1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup black treacle or molasses (I used molasses)

How to make it:
Sift the flour, ginger, allspice, salt and baking soda into a bowl. In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until very soft. Beat the eggs one by one, then mix in the molasses. Gently fold in the sifted ingredients.

Pour the misture into a greased pie plate and bake in a pre-heated oven at 325 degrees F for about 50-60 minutes. or until the top springs back when pressed,

Cool in the pan, then remove. According to the book store the bread for a few days in an airtight tin before eating. But it was so decadent and luscious that I could'nt resist the temptation and served it up the same day alongside whipped cream and ginger in syrup.. The cake can be served in slices spread with butter, or clotted cream and ginger in syrup.

3 comments:

  1. so cool! First of all I always watch this show! I never make anything( not sure why) but I always watch it . so interesting to me. Secondly, this has to be the most moistest tender cake I have ever seen. It looks like it would just melt in your mouth with amazing spices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah, gingerbread... I haven't had this in SO long... literally years... maybe 10 or more. My mother used to make it, I loved it because when it was fresh it was the most amazing cake (bread???) ever and when it was a little less fresh you can just slather butter on it and it's still amazing. It looks so good - thanks for the trip down memory lane Malli :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful and delicious perfectly baked !!

    Ongoing event
    CC:Spring Seasonal Food

    ReplyDelete

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF