Tuesday, November 9, 2010

#3 Broccoli Bacon Salad

I love salads --especially when I have fresh grown tomatoes in our backyard. I am not an expert  gardener, but I do have a green thumb that occasionally produces a few essential vegetables like tomatoes, green chillies and beans.  Surprisingly, this year I was lucky enough to grow fresh bunches of the type of Red Spinach grown in Kerala.  I have fantasies of growing watermelon, cauliflowers, cucumbers, squash and lettuce too but I wonder if that will ever happen. I cannot get myself to eat a salad everyday, so I am enthusiastic about coming up with vegetable salads either cold or warm. Of course it does not feel like summer is around the corner anytime soon, which means I will not enjoy the red leaf lettuce salads for some time. I come up with recipes like this because vegetables like Broccoli do serve my purpose of eating low carb and keeps my stomach satisfied for longer periods of time.



Ingredients:
Broccoli Heads- 2 small
Green Onions- 1 stem
Bacon- 2 small slices
Mayyonnaise- 2 Tblspn
Mustard- 1/4 tspn
lime juice- 1 tspn
garlic- 1/4 tspn
Ranch dressing- 1 Tblspn
Grated Carrots-1/2 cup
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. Wash and cut the Broccoli heads into small florets.
2. Boil a pan of water and when it comes to a full boil, blanch the broccoli for a min.
3. Blanching allows you to cook the vegetables completely then cool quickly by adding some ice cubes to  keep them crisp.
4. In a large Glass bowl, mix together the dressing- Mayyonnaise, mustard, lime juice, garlic, Ranch dressing, salt and pepper.
5. Take three paper towels and fold the bacon into them. Place in a microwaveable plate and microwave for 2 mins.
6. Cool the bacon and crush it up.
7. To the dressing in the bowl, add the broccoli and the crushed bacon, toss and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF