Monday, November 8, 2010

#11 Tomato Chutney

Last weekend some friends dropped by for dinner.  I had some Dosa batter in the fridge and decided that I would come up with a few uttappams for dinner. I whisked up some grated veggies and made a quick UTTAPPAM batter and made the favorite pancakes.  I realized that I need to get some coconut from the store...... I could not find grated frozen coconut in my freezer. Well, I told myself I have some ripe tomatoes and onions and that always serves a purpose. Here's how I made a Tomato Chutney that was tart, spicy and slightly sweet from the onions---delicious!! In my dining room, this is usually eaten with idlis....


Ingredients:
Ripe Tomatoes-2 chopped
Onions- 2 chopped
Oil
Salt to taste,
Chilli powder- 1 tspn
Asafoetida powder- 1/2 tspn

Method:
1. I usually slice the onions and toss with oil in a baking pan/cookie sheet. Place this in the oven to Broil for about 10 mins.
2. When it is translucent color, add the tomatoes to the baking pan and broil for another 10 mins.
3. Toss the broiled veggies into a blender, add salt, asafoetida and chillie powder.
4. Blend coarsely and remove and serve with UTTAPPAM. It can also be served with DOSA or idlis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF