Monday, November 8, 2010

#10 Chicken Salad Sandwich

Saturday afternoon went by rather quickly. I was by myself for lunch and this was my opportunity to be a couch potato and relax in the living room with a good book!! R was running errands.... As I am flipping through TV channels  I notice in between my light nap that Rachel Ray is making a Chicken Salad sandwich. I am now craving a Chicken Salad Sandwich and decide I would make my own version of one....that is if I can get out of the couch by noon. I finally did and here it is.................

Ingredients:
Leftover Rotisserie chicken meat- 1 cup shredded
(If you do not have rotisserie chicken in the fridge, then roast up a chicken breast in the oven)
Celery- 1 stick
granny smith apple- 1/4 chopped up
onion- 1/2 chopped up
green chilli- 1 chopped
Mayyonnaise-1/2 cup
Lemon juice-1/4 tspn
ginger paste- 1/4 tspn
salt and pepper to taste
garam masala/tandoori paste- 1/4 tspn
Almonds- 5 chopped fine
Lettuce leaves, Tomato slices, Avocado Slices
Whole Wheat Bread/White Bread/ Wraps/Naan









Method:
1. Take a ceramic Mixing bowl. Add the Mayyonnaise.
2. Mix together all the chopped veggies, ginger paste, salt, pepper, almonds, lemon juice, garam masala and mix well with a spoon making sure it is well mixed.
3. Taste to make sure that there is enough flavor.
4. Add the chicken and toss well without making it mushy.
5. Take the whole wheat bread and toast until brown. Place a scoop of the Chicken salad on one slice. Top with lettuce, sliced tomato and avocado.
6. Slice crosswise and enjoy with a bag of chips for a quick lunch.


This one was an old favorite of my older daughter N and she still loves it. This is a basic recipe for chicken salad with an Indian twist, although at times I would replace the apple in this recipe with fruit like dried cranberries or canned pineapple. As a child, N did not favor many vegetables in her meals, and I made every attempt to hide them in things like chicken salad, pasta sauces and stuffed shells.

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.  ~e.e. cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF