Tuesday, February 15, 2011

#81 Crunchy Tuna Cutlets

This time I am making a croquette that I believe is almost impossible to dislike. My girls and I just love these little potato and fish packages and can eat them any time of the day although, R always favored the ground beef cutlets over the others. Cutlets are delicious little appetizers served at almost all Indian homes and restaurants, can either be made of ground meat, flaked fish or mixed vegetables and they come in round, oval or egg-like shapes. Along with a little side salad, ketchup or lemon wedges they can be a tasty treat.  My mother--bless her heart-- found some cutlet moulds which she made sure to send with friends just so that I get a perfect oval shape when I make my ground beef or vegetable cutlets.


With cutlets, I am getting lazier and looking for shortcuts  …so to make it even easier upon myself I used tuna fish from a can and this time I even eliminated Amma's “oval” mould.  But I insist on making  homemade cutlets and love it when the beautiful spice flavors fill the kitchen with a wonderful aroma. Every bite has an awesome crunchiness loaded with luscious little bits of fish and potato, I think it is ingenious on the part of the person who first developed this bountiful crispy croquette. 




Ingredients:
Tuna Fish in Water- 1 can
Potatoes-2 full boiled and mashed.
Onions and shallots chopped- 11/2 cup
Ginger chopped fine- 2 Tblspn
Garlic chopped -1 tblspn
Green Chillies-3 chopped fine
Cilantro chopped fine- ½ cup
Garam Masala- powder- 1/2 tspn
Salt and black pepper to taste
Italian herb or plain Bread crumbs-1 cup
Eggs- 2
Oil for deep frying

Method
  1. Drain the tuna from the water in the can and toss with mashed potato, chopped onions/shallots,ginger,garlic and chillies.
  2. Add salt and pepper to taste and the chopped cilantro and garam masala powder.
  3. I usually add some chilli powder if needed at this time and mix the ingredients together.
  4. Make small balls the size of limes with the mixture and shape into round or oval shape .
  5. If you have the oval “mould” you can fill the mould tightly with the mixture and turn it out keeping the shape.
  6. Set up the cutlet rolling station with a bowl of beaten eggs and a plate of breadcrumbs to help you out.
  7. Starting with the cutlets dip them in egg and then breadcrumbs and cover completely. I leave them in the fridge to come together for 10 mins.
  8. Heat oil in a deep wok or saucepan. Drop the cutlets gently into hot oil and deep fry these until golden brown in color.
  9. Serve hot with ketchup and sliced onions in lemon juice.

2 comments:

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF