Sunday, June 5, 2011

#111 From the Southwest Schezuan Province of China Chilli Potatoes

We all know that the Schezuan pepper is native to the Szechuan Province of China. A style of cooking typically called "Schezuan" uses peppercorns that are rust colored with hair-thin stems and open ends.
The rough skin splits open to reveal a brittle black seed about 3 mm diameter. The Schezuan pepper is an ingredient in Chinese five spice powder and Schezuan style of cooking features hotter and spicier dishes as compared to those found in the rest of China. Indians being lovers of hot and spicy flavors we introduced this style into Indian main meals at home and restaurants, now we are in love with spicy stir fries and noodles!! My love for Chinese food sends me on a World tour on the web and I run into the most interesting of  dishes either authentic chinese or Indo-chinese. Although this recipe was one that I read off of an Indian recipe source, I have cooked the dish so many times over, varying it each time to meet my families' taste alternating between eggplants and potatoes but no Szechuan peppers of course-just plain old crushed hot red peppers from my pantry. If you can find authentic Schezuan peppers use them instead for better results. Ta-Dah! I present to you a well-matured recipe that has grown in its roots and I insist that you try it out at home.  Why? Well it is a must try and I can assure you will want more and more of the spicy sweet sauce which makes the secret ingredient in this recipe and the taste will linger in your mouth.



INGREDIENTS

Potatoes 4-5 medium
Salt to taste
Cornflour/ corn starch 2 Tblpns
Vegetable stock 1  cup
Olice Oil 2 tablespoon
Garlic, sliced 5-6 cloves
Ginger julienned- 2 Tblspn
Onion , sliced 1 medium
Red chilli flakes 1/4 cup
Red chilli sauce or Sriracha 1 teaspoon
Tomato Ketchup- 2 Tblspns
Soy sauce 2 teaspoon
Sugar 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
Spring onion greens, chopped 1 stalk

Method:
1. Peel and slice potatoes into thick wedges. Keep in cold water for 20 mins and drain.
2. Mix together the Cornflour, 2 Tblspn chilli flakes and salt to taste. Toss some Olive oil into the mixture.
3. Add potato wedges to the above mixture and spread well on a greased baking sheet.
4. Broil until the wedges are light brown on both sides turning them half way through.
5. In the meantime, make the sauce. Slice Onions very thin. Heat oil in a saucepan.
6. Add the remaining chilli flakes, garlic, ginger and then onions. Saute until golden brown.
7. Add the lemon juice, sugar, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce, stock, soy sauce and water if needed.
8. When the sauce is well seasoned and mixed, remove from fire and toss in the potatoes.
9. Serve garnished with the spring onions and if you like some cilantro.

8 comments:

  1. WOW! This is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l. I would dearly love to slowly make this dish disappear. ummm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just *love* sriracha - best invention known to food, frankly, and potatoes rock. Pair the two up and this looks amazing. Something to try after I've restocked on sriracha (all out at the moment :'( )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum....! This looks so good! I love spicy dishes, that's why I also adore Szechuan cuisine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I never used to be keen on spicy food and pepper when I was younger but love it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These would be an instant hit for my husband and I. Probably a little too spicy for the kids, but they're slowly getting used to spicy foods. We're going to try these soon. I have a bottle of sriracha sitting around that doesn't get much use! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your positive feedback on my blog; thought I'd check you out too! I love your healthy veggie recipes- well-written and informative; I'll stop by again... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds brilliant..i shud try it some time.

    ReplyDelete

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF