It is quick and easy if you have a couple of cans of solid tuna in water and pumpkin in your home or if you choose, you could use any cubes of fleshy white fish. A spicy, tart curry with the sweet touch of pumpkin served with a warm bowl of steamed rice it is fabulous!! So, I rolled up my sleeves, made endless blunders and with careful preparation I replicated my favorite Aunt V's best fish and Pumpkin curry. It was almost the same but not quite...
Tuna Can- 2 cans drained of all the liquid
Large Green Chillies- 4 cubed
Kashmiri Chilli powder- 2 Tblspns
Pumpkin cubed into 1/2 inch cubes- 1/2 cup
Ginger- 1/2 inch piece
Garlic- 3 cloves
Coriander powder- 1 tspn
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tspn
Tomatoes- 1 chopped
Curry Leaves- 1 sprig
Kudampuli-2 or regular tamarind- 1 Tblspn
salt, ground pepper, Oil, mustard seeds, Methi seeds and Red chillies.
1. Process together coarsely the shallots, green chillies, tomatoes, ginger and garlic.
2. Take a deep pan and add some oil to it. Add methi seeds and toast and drain out from the oil. Powder coarsely and keep aside.
3. Add the broken red chillies to the oil and the coarsely processed onion mixture. Saute for a minute.
4. Add coriander powder, turmeric, chilli powder and pepper and saute.
5. Add 1 cup water, kudampuli or tamarind and pumpkin and cook the vegetable.
6. Add salt when the pumpkin is cooked and then the tuna along with curry leaves and powdered methi. Turn off the fire. Mix gently and keep for some time.
7. Tastes absolutely delicious overnight.