This one is a classic salad that I make almost every summer(sometimes several times each year) with a new twist. The use of steamed broccoli is new this year with the omission of bacon or cooked meat. Instead I sprinkled some cheese. Bacon bits are ideal for this salad, otherwise top with toasted walnuts and it becomes a whole nourishing meal!!
2 cups mixed field greens
1 cucumber skin removed cubed
2 scallions chopped
1 package frozen green peas, thawed
10 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups chopped steamed broccoli
1 cup grape tomatoes
2 cups thinly sliced radishes
3 Mushrooms sliced
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
1 Tblspn Lemon Juice
1 Tblspn Honey
2 tablespoons white sugar
1. To prepare dressing, whip up lemon juice, honey,olive oil with 1/2 tsp salt, sugar and pepper. Keep aside.
2. Take a glass bowl or trifle dish for layering the salad. Toss each of the prepared vegetables except the lettuce with half of the dressing above.
3. now add the Mayonnaise to the rest of the dressing and beat well.
4. Start layering with Broccoli, then add the Radishes, followed by cucumber, green peas, scallions, cheese and then greens, grape tomatoes
and remaining vegetables as you wish. Top with greens and spread the mayonnaise mixture and evenly cover the salad completely.
5. Top with cheese and scallions adding slices of mushrooms to decorate the sides.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours before serving.