Tuesday, August 4, 2015

#328: Spicy Garlic-y BBQ Chicken


Who doesn't enjoy Barbeque Chicken, particularly in the summer months?  I know many of you enjoy juicy perfectly cooked chicken, and I mean, of course I do, but I also love having portions of chicken charred a bit.  It's the best of charred ends with a tender juicy chicken thigh (or breast).  This time around I made chicken thighs and instead of hauling them out to the grill, I just gave these an initial hot sear on the stove, and popped them into the oven to finish cooking (with a quick baste in the middle of the cooking time).  These turned out fantastic.  

The recipe is a combination of a Chipotle Chicken Marinade my roommate and I made and used on chicken last month, with some of this amazing Alamo Spicy BBQ Sauce my mom picked up on her recent trip to San Antonio.  It made for a spicy, sweet and garlic-y finish to the chicken.  With a side of collard greens,  I was completely content! 












Spicy Garlic-y BBQ Chicken - Serves 2

4 Chicken Thighs, skinless and boneless
1 cup barbeque sauce
3 habanero peppers, chopped
1/2 cup Chipotle chicken marinade
1/2 tbsp McCormick Jerk Seasoning
1/2 tbsp salt

Directions

  1. I made the marinade used in this recipe for Chipotle Chicken over a month ago and had some saved over, so I used 1/2 cup of this marinade.  I recommend making it and saving it, because it is absolutely fabulous.  But, if you'd prefer not to, I would just recommend using 2 ancho peppers (rehydrated and blended) + four garlic cloves.  If you prepare this mixture it will work just as well. 
  2. After you've done either, then we can proceed with the recipe.  Chop up your habanero peppers.  If you want less heat, take out the veins and the seeds.  
  3. In a bowl add your barbeque sauce, the Chipotle marinade (or ancho pepper + garlic mixture), McCormick Jerk Seasoning and salt.  Mix thoroughly with a spoon or whisk. 
  4. Add your chicken thighs to the bowl and coat thoroughly with the marinade.  It might seem like there's a lot of marinade, but trust me you'll want the extra for basting during the cooking process. 
  5. I let the chicken marinate overnight, but if you don't have time 1 hour is fine.  
  6. When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  7. Then take out a pan and add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan.  Allow the heat to rise to medium-high.  Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade and add to the pan.  Make sure that you take off as much of the marinade from the outside of the chicken before adding to the pan to avoid splatter.  Let it sear for about 1 minute per side.  
  8. Place the seared chicken in an oven safe casserole dish.  Baste with half of the marinade.  Cook in oven for 25 minutes. 
  9. Then take out and baste with the remaining marinade.  (Note - You can remove the chopped habanero peppers if you would prefer).  Turn the heat to high broil and let the chicken broil for 5 minutes.  
Serve with a side of collard greens, green beans, macaroni and cheese, or potato salad!  



4 comments:

  1. I love anything that involved chipotle - it is kind of my flavour obsession at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Dannii! We used dried ancho peppers for the marinade that replicates the chicken at Chipotle. When those are rehydrated and blended into a marinade, it makes for this crazy flavor - delicious!

      Delete
  2. I'm loving the charred exterior. It makes the chicken look like it was grilled, not oven baked. The spicy, sweet, garlicky sauce sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love that it ended up like that. I think it helped giving it a sear before popping it in the oven and then a broil right at the very end.

      Delete

It’s always a pleasure to get feedback from all our readers. Please leave your name or contact info. Thanks for stopping by!

Print Friendly

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF