This is my mother’s recipe for a simple Kerala style white chutney with curds to add tartness to the spicy chutney. She served this chutney with idlis and her red coconut/tomatoes chutney with dosas.
Freshly grated coconut- 1 cup
Ginger paste- 1 tspn
Sour Cream- 1 Tblspn
Mustard seeds-1 tspn
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- In a Blender grind the coconut and ginger with salt to a very smooth paste.
- Add shallots and coarsely grind the mix with the coconut paste.
- Place a deep pan on the fire and heat a Tablespoon of ghee.
- Add mustard seeds and when they crackle and pop, add red chillies and curry leaves.
- Lower the fire and pour in the coconut paste and enough water if needed to a thick consistency.
- When the chutney just warms up throughout(a few bubbles start appearing on the surface), Add yogurt and turn off the fire.
- Serve hot with freshly made idlis.