Fresh eggplant- 2 medium size
Whole Tomatoes in cans- 2 large
Fresh Basil leaves- 1 cup
Chopped Onion- 2 large Spanish onion chopped fine
Garlic cloves- 10 crushed and chopped fine
Tomato paste- 1 Tblspn
Eggs-4 slightly beaten
Italian breadcrumbs- 11/2 cups
Fresh Mozarella Cheese- slices 8 oz
Fresh Cheddar cheese grated- 1 cup
Parmesan Cheese grated- 1cup
Brown sugar- 2 Tblspn
Brown whole lentils- ½ cup
Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, dry and slice the eggplants into ¼ inch thick slices. Prepare for coating.
- In two separate shallow bowls or plates add the eggs in one and breadcrumbs in the other.
- Place them in the order as shown in the photos to make it easier on you.
- Take a baking sheet and line with parchment paper or foil. Spray non-stick spray over it.
- Take each slice of eggplant and dip it in the egg and then roll in breadcrumbs to coat well then placing them on the baking sheet as such.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees and broil until just brown. Keep aside after all the slices are baked.
- Wash and cook the lentils in enough water until they are soft and pulpy.
- Now prepare the tomato sauce by sautéing the onions in Olive oil on a slow fire until they are translucent. Now add garlic and tomato paste.
- Saute for another 3 minutes until the raw taste of the tomato paste is cooked away. Add whole tomatoes crushing them really well with a masher.
- Now add salt, pepper, brown sugar, and the cooked lentils from step #7.
- Reduce the fire and let simmer for 45 minutes to one hour until thick and rich/
- Take a baking dish or casserole and spray with non stick spray.
- Starting with the sauce, spread a cup at the bottom of the dish and layer with eggplant slices.
- Now sprinkle a chiffonade of basil leaves all over the eggplant. Top with a layer of a portion of each of the cheeses.
- Start again with Tomato sauce , eggplant slices, basil, cheeses and keep going until there are no more eggplant left.
- Bake in the over covered for 45 minutes and then top with remaining Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for 15 mins.
- Serve with garlic bread or spaghetti.